About the company:
We all know Apple 🙂 No need to introduce them. Their focus is certainly not photo books, however, they do a good job at making it easy to create one. You can only create Apple Photo Books in the Photos (iPhoto) app from an Apple device.
|My Book||Other Options|
|Cover||Hardcover with Dust Jacket||n/a|
|Paper||Silk, fairly thick||n/a|
|Size||28×21.5cm||33×25, 20×15, 20×20, 25x25cm|
|Presentation Box||Yes, slip case||n/a|
- Binding: The book is well made with a sturdy binding. It felt solid and there is a nice fabric touch to the spine. No lay flat option.
- Cover: The cover is glossy hardcover with a dust jacket. Both have the same image, but you can have a photo and text on the inlays of the dust jacket. You can also have text on the spine. The cover is connected to the main book by a grey (or other colour) luxurious double spread.
- Paper: There is no info about the paper on the website, but from my guessing it’s a 140-180gsm paper, it’s silky and feels nice to touch.
- Printing: Digital printing with quite obvious digital artifacts. Colours look fine, however, all the photos seemed to come out a bit “colder” than in other books. A bit of warmth was missing. Shadows/highlights are all good, and no colours are more saturated than the other ones.
Apple books can only be created from the Photos (iPhoto) app from an Apple device. You import all your images, select them and click on the create book. You will need to choose your size and choose your theme. There are many fantastic themes, however none of them are customisable. You have a fair selection of layouts, but you can’t move frames or resize them, you can’t add text wherever you want to. You can’t add borders or rotate pics. So it’s a love-hate situations, since the layouts look fabulous, but if you need a slight change, you can’t do it. You can just drag and drop your pics into the templates. When you’re finished with the book, you just click on order and follow the steps. You can’t do this online and you can’t mix and match between themes. However, you can save all your books in your Photos app and change the size or theme later (might need to reedit photos). Great app to create great looking books fast but not for the creative mind who likes one of a kind ideas.
Delivery was quick, 2 business days. It costed £6 pounds. Quite expensive, but quick, so can’t complain.
To date I have never seen any discounts for Apple photo books, so I assume it’s always full price.
What it is for:
It’s a good mid range book, suitable for babies, travel, scrapbook style, holidays, parties and family events.
What it is not for:
Weddings, or any projects where you need lots of editing, because although the layouts look great, you can’t change anything about them.
- good for Apple fans
- great layouts
- easy to create
- good quality book that looks nice
- themes and layouts can not be customised
- no options for paper, lay flat binding, cover or printing
- requires Photos app, no online interface
- digital printing only, colours slightly colder than on the original photos