About the company:
Chatbooks is an American company specialising in Instagram books. They were created for smartphones but can also be made on their website. You can connect to Instagram, Facebook or your camera roll and the app will create your books instantly.
|My Book||Other Options|
- Binding: Non lay flat, perfect bound. Despite the book’s size and price, it’s really well put together. Binding is strong, sturdy and elegant.
- Cover: Matt hardcover. Standard is softcover, but you can opt for hardcover for an extra $5. You can have an image on the front, but the back will be grey with the Chatbooks logo in the bottom. The hardcover paper stock is so lush, it feels very velvety. Love it, love it. You can have your title and the logo on the spine.
- Paper: Simple, average silk paper (approx 140-170gsm). Not bad, but nothing special. There is no other option.
- Printing: Digital printing. It’s a bit more obvious than in other digitally pressed photo books. Colours are ok, but not exactly accurate. Again, given the price and simplicity of the book, it’s more than acceptable.
You can either use the app from the Apple Store (iPhones)/Android Store or create the books on their website. First you need to select the book type. Series are books are 6×6″ and are created automatically from your feed; they are all 60 pages long, and you CAN’T have full bleed photos in them or titles on the front cover. Custom books have slightly more options and they come in 6×6 and 8×8. In the 8×8 you can have full bleed photos and a maximum of 366 pages; one for each day. After you selected the book, you need to connect to wither Instagram, Facebook or your camera roll. The Series Books option will create an automatic subscription, which will create a new book for you after every 60 new photos. If you geo tagged your photos, they appear above the picture on the right, and if you had any caption or comments on Facebook, these would appear under the photos. You can disable the texts and have just photos. You can also add text only pages. The software is very intuitive and extremely easy to use but at the same time it offers no creativity. These are standardised books that are great when you want to do something quickly and painlessly. They are great for baby pics, your Instagram feed or even cook books, but not ideal for wedding books, travel books or anything that requires layouts and text boxes.
Was about 2 weeks. FREE shipping!
If you opt for the series books, you can get the first one for free, use CBLOVE at checkout. Other voucher codes are available every now and then too. Go to my deals section for the latest offers.
What it is for:
Great for Instagram, Facebook, recipe books, fun photos, party photos, holidays and basic travel. (anything quick)
What it is not for:
Not for any project that needs editing and options/choices, weddings, big travel books, professional baby shoots. As always, this is just my opinion, you can print any photos you want in these books.
- very easy to make
- good binding
- creates books automatically
- good max page count
- no lay flat
- no editing: no templates or text/background options apart from the geotag and caption
- no full bleed photos in the 6×6 books
- colours could be a little bit better