About the company:
Mixbook is a photo book giant in the US with printing stations around the world. They also do wall art and other photo gifts. Their photo books come in two categories, lay flat and non lay flat. I have already reviewed their lay flat books (click), and now I am going to show you what the standard, perfect bound books look like.
|My Book||Other Options|
|Cover||Glossy Hardcover with Dust Jacket||Softcover, Glossy Hardcover, Leather with Dust Jacket|
|Paper||Silk, Semi-Gloss 100lb (150gsm)||n/a|
|Size||8×6||8.5×8.5, 10×10, 12×12, 14×11, 11×8.5|
- Binding: The book is perfect bound. If you have double spread photos, some of it will get a bit lost in the gutter, but not as much as with other books. Very nice binding, have had the book for two years now and the spine still shows no wear and tear. Sturdy!
- Cover: Nice glossy imagewrap hardcover. No matt option here (only for the lay flat books). You can have anything you want on the front and back and titles on the spine. No barcode or logo. Yay! The dust jacket looks the same as the book cover and it’s thick and glossy. Other options include softcover, imagewrap without the dust jacket and leather.
- Paper: They use 100lb (150gsm) acid free, semi-gloss silk paper, which is kind of the standard for perfect bound books. It has a good thickness and nice feel to it, however, I did notice a bit more “fiber texture” on the paper than with other books. I know that’s not a thing, but what I mean is that it resembles a bit the newspaper look.
- Printing: They use digital Elektroink 4.0 printers. Quality is okay, I noticed that the yellows and reds were a bit oversaturated, which might only be a one off error, since the same photos came out fine in the lay flat book that I ordered before, and apparently they use the same printers on both.
Mixbook uses an online software with the most creative themes and options I have encountered so far. Themes include backgrounds, layouts, items, texts and anything you can imagine. You need to upload your photos from your computer, but it offers connectivity to various social media sites like Instagram and Picassa too. There are basic editing option for the photos like B&W, Sepia, cropping, contrast, brightness etc. One great thing about the software is that it allows you to change the size of the book without re-editing it, so you can print any size books as long as it’s the same orientation. It gives you the usual warnings for photo quality and resolution.
Books from the UK came in 2-3 days, from the US it was up to 2 weeks. Depending on where you live there might be a printing station nearby. Came with UPS.
Mixbook offers fabulous deals of up to 60-70% off on a regular basis. Make sure to take advantage of them. The latest vouchers and codes are in the deals section.
What is it for?
It’s great for travels, babies, year books, fun books, scrapbooks and family stuff.
What is it not for?
If I want a very precious wedding book, I would probably go for a flush mount album, and I would not use this book for Instagram or Facebook only pics. However, this is just my opinion, and you can certainly create the book from whatever pictures you desire 🙂
- amazing editing software with fabulous themes
- great binding
- delivery and deals
- good cover options
- very high max page count
- printing quality slightly oversaturated and not photographic
- lack of paper options