About the company:
Simple Prints is an American company located in California. They make lots of gift items (wall art, calendars, mugs, pillows etc) but their main focus is on Smartphone photo books. They wanted to keep up with technology and create an app that makes it very easy to create books from your everyday photos.
|My Books||Other Options|
|Full Price (20pages) with hardcover and paper upgrade
- Binding: All their books are perfect bound, there is no lay flat option at the moment. I think it’s a very well bound book, I love the bookmark in it and also the textured double sheet on the back of the covers. Since it’s perfect bound some parts of the images in the middle will get lust in the gutter.
- Cover: With the 8×8 you have two options: softcover and hardcover. With the 12×12 you can only have the hardcover. It’s not too shiny, looks more silky and smooth. You can put a photo on the front cover and titles in a variety of fonts. If you opt for hardcover, you can insert some text on the spine too. On the back cover you will find the company logo, app logos and a barcode. Unfortunately to my knowledge there is no way to get rid of this, not even for a surcharge.
- Paper: Their basic paper choice is a silky/glossy 148gsm (100#) acid-free stock. As I mentioned in my papers blog post, this is the very standard that you get with digital books. For $0.25/page you can upgrade to a slightly less shiny 207gsm (140#) silk paper, which I think is really worth it. Thicker papers will last longer. I don’t think there is any different in the print result on the two papers, but the 207gsm is a bit less shiny.
- Printing: They are using high quality HP Indigo printers, which are the best when it comes to digital books. I was very suprised by the print quality. It was very natural and very accurate colour reproduction. Rarely have I seen such great quality with digital/cheaper books.
5. Software: This is the fun part. You need to download the app to your Apple/Andoird based device. Create a book, insert at least 20 images from you camera, facebook, instagram or dropbox. Despite being very simple, there is a surprisingly wide range of options regarding the layouts and text edit options. You can have full bleed photos too. Once you’re done, you select the book size and any upgrades you’d like and wait for it to arrive.
They promise 4-7 days shipping in the USA and up to 2 weeks worldwide. Mine arrived just after a week, so not bad, and it costed roughly $5-7.
Deals: Haven’s seen any at the time of ordeing but they sometimes email out codes to customers and if you are on a the newsfeed. If I get access to any such codes, I will place them onto the Deals section of the blog.
What is it for?
It’s great for those who do not want to spend weeks on editing books and don’t want to suffocate in options. It is very, very simple and you get a great quality book in the end. It’s for those who take photos daily but never develop them or organise them. It is also a good match for Instagram/Facebook sort of stuff.
What is it not for?
It’s not gonna be your main wedding album, neither a catalogue of your memories from your around the world trip. As I mentioned before it is a simple app, so keep it for simple projects. Also, if you are a quality freak regarding paper, printing etc… and you like your options, this might not be for you.
- too simple to be true
- amazing max page count 200/300
- fantastic print quality
- good binding
- nice editing functions
- paper upgrade is only an upgrade in thickness, it’s not really luster
- no way to get rid of the logo on the back cover