About the company:
The company is based in the USA, but they have printing stations in the UK and in several other countries too. As of my last order (2016), there were some inconsistencies between the printing stations. My first few books were printed in the USA and they were great. However, the last 2 books that were printed in the UK had a different binding, paper and print quality. The books fell apart when I opened them, so I contacted Mixbook, who kindly reprinted them for me in the USA and informed me that they were aware of the issue. So long story short, in this review I am only talking about the USA printing station. If your books get printed in the UK, they might be different to my experience below. Apart from photo books, they also do cards, canvases and they have two other subsidiaries: Mosaic and Montage.
UPDATE: 2017 July, I ordered books from the UK stations and they were all good!
|My Book||Other Options|
|Cover||Layflat Hardcover Matte||no other options for layflat books|
|Size||11×8.5||8.5×8.5, 10×10, 12×12,|
- Binding: The binding of the books is pretty amazing and sturdy, they are lay flat so nothing gets lost in the gutter. Even after several page throughs the binding was intact and the ink in the middle did not fade as it happens with some books. Pages are printed on double spreads and are stuck together.
- Cover: The cover is matt and very thick. With lay flat books there is no option for a dust jacket or gloss cover, however, with the other hardcover books you have more options. You can have your usual text on the spine and there is no barcode on the back cover.
- Paper: The pages are really, really thick. This is probably the thickest lay flat (not flush mount) photo book I ever owned. Pages don’t bend. It’s a silky, fairly matt paper stock that they use. You only have one paper option for the lay flat books.
- Printing: They only use digital printers, so you will notice some digital “texture”, but compared to other digitally printed books, it’s very true to the original colours. Probably a tiny bit oversaturated, but not to the extent that would be unacceptable or annoying. Dynamic range is okay too.
Mixbook uses an online software with the most creative themes and options I have encountered so far. Themes include backgrounds, layouts, items, texts and anything you can imagine. You need to upload your photos from your computer, but it offers connectivity to various social media sites like Instagram and Picassa too. There are basic editing option for the photos like B&W, Sepia, cropping, contrast, brightness etc. One great thing about the software is that it allows you to change the size of the book without re-editing it, so you can print any size books as long as it’s the same orientation. It gives you the usual warnings for photo quality and resolution.
My books all came from the USA, and I live in the UK. Delivery was roughly 1 week which is pretty good for international and it’s quite cheap too. The two books sent from the UK arrived within 2 days.
Mixbook offers fabulous deals of up to 60-70% off on a regular basis. Make sure to take advantage of them. The latest vouchers and codes are in the deals section.
What is it for?
It’s great for travels, babies, year books, fun books, scrapbooks and family stuff.
What is it not for?
If I want a very precious wedding book, I would probably go for a flush mount album, and I would not use this book for Instagram or Facebook only pics. However, this is just my opinion, and you can certainly create the book from whatever pictures you desire 🙂
- amazing editing software with fabulous themes
- binding and pages
- delivery and deals
- printing quality slightly oversaturated and not photographic
- lack of cover options
- lack of paper options